Wednesday, August 03, 2011

The Archers...

... is a long running BBC radio program. ¨An everyday tale of country folk¨ is how I recall the basic line before a story unfolds each day. It has a cult and loyal following that is simply impossible to explain as it cuts across age groups and cultural/social bounds. There is a wonderful posting (including a link to the well known them tune) here and the gem of a line ´The Archers is football for people who prefer radios´. I used to listen to The Archers every day while driving. For some reason, the twists and turns of some fairly simple story lines are captivating. Character development is (in most instances) good and believable and (for the greater part) the series has avoided the instant ´disaster drama´ that has ruined many a soap opera due to the implausibility of their plots.

I ´converted´ my wife to the series and now do not listen to it myself... go figure.

No comments: