Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Unreality of 'Reality' TV...

Caveat: I do not watch TV and have not had regular access to TV for > 10 years. My life is much richer as a result.

When you step back and reflect on what passes for entertainment on cable or satellite television it is very easy to see how poor the overall content has become. Really, seriously, what IS the benefit to be had from watching some of the garbage that passes for entertainment? The canned laughter and artificial scenarios that are presented to you. For me, THE worst form of television is the voyeuristic 'reality' or 'fly on the wall' type of programming. I call it 'Rubber Neck Viewing'. Watching what happens to other people's lives rather than spending time on your own. It is a form of reverse narcissism with the 'there but for the grace of god go I' type of mentality behind it or the schadenfreude aspect as well. People justify watching these programmes on the basis of 'I know it is not real' but... seriously? You consider this worth your limited time on earth watching someone else have a life disasters (or similar)?

There again, I do not understand why people use Facebook either. I do KNOW why most use it. Self-aggrandisment and the narcissism...

Putting that aside... there is an interesting article here re the fakery behind most of the reality TV shows and in particular 'House Hunters'.

No comments: