Thursday, May 06, 2010

Television Viewing

The Economist has an online article regarding how people perceive and how they actually watch TV. I personally do not watch TV. We have a television and were I to bother I am sure I could easily rig up an aerial to pick up some terrestrial channels but... why? Seriously, I do not understand that people spend so much time watching TV when there are so many other really interesting things to do. In fact, I find myself with insufficient time to do all the things I really want to do - even with the best planning and scheduling.

The article indicates that the typical family spends 6 hours - SIX HOURS - a day watching TV. I have worked in other countries and had access to countless channels. My last place I had over 200 channels of things to watch and in a year I think I switched it on three or four times and that was it. The rest of the time I was doing other things. How do people do this? Given what I have seen, the majority of programming is mindless dross with a few pieces of good in-between. That is it.

The article is here.

No comments: